If you love the sweet and tangy combination of honey and mustard, you’re going to love this Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken. Surprisingly, this dish tastes like a gourmet dish from a fancy restaurant, but it doesn’t contain any exotic ingredients and it’s really easy to make! This is sure to be one of your go-to Instant Pot chicken recipes.
From the first time I used my Instant Pot, I knew dinner in our house was never going to be the same. I love the time I’ve taken back now that the Instant Pot does most of the work at dinner time. No, dinner’s not ready instantly, but it also doesn’t need a babysitter like stovetop meals do.
Since I have kids to feed, most of my recipes so far have been ones I knew would win them over. Now, I’m branching into some of my husband’s and my own favorite flavor combinations.
At the top of that list is honey dijon. To us, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and tangy. I hope you like this Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken as much as we do.
How to Make Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken
As a general rule, I like to keep my recipes as simple and quick as possible. This one is no different.
No fancy ingredients, just things you probably already have on hand!
Step 1 – Prepare and Sauté the Chicken
First, set your Instant Pot to sauté and let it heat up while you prepare the chicken. Get out your frustration and hammer the breasts with a meat mallet on both sides until they’re just one inch thick. Then, season them with thyme and salt.
Add two tablespoons of oil to the Instant Pot and then add the chicken. You’re just browning the outside so it should only take about a minute per side. Once the chicken is browned, remove the breasts to a plate.
Step 2 – Sauté Onion
Next, you’ll add another tablespoon of oil to the Instant Pot along with diced onion. Sauté the onion for three to five minutes until it starts to turn translucent. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Step 3 – Prepare to Pressure Cook
Now, return the chicken to the Instant Pot. Also add the broth, wine and mustard.
Step 4 – Pressure Cook
It’s time to let the Instant Pot work it’s magic! Secure the lid, press the manual setting and set the time for 5 minutes. When the cook time ends, do a quick release of the pressure.
After you’ve removed the lid (carefully!), remove the chicken from the pot.
Step 5 – Finish the Sauce
Select the Sauté setting. Add the honey and stir well. Cook until the sauce has the same thickness and consistency of gravy.
Your Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken is ready to serve!
Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil divide into 1 T Portions
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 Cup White Onion about ½ small onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup White Wine or Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Set Instant Pot to sauté for 10 minutes and allow to preheat.
- Hammer chicken to 1 inch thickness with a meat mallet and season both sides with thyme and salt. OPTIONAL – Marinate chicken in broth and wine for at least 20 minutes, or up to 24 hours in fridge.
- Place 2 Tablespoons Oil in Pot and add chicken. Cook on each side until browned, or about 1 minute on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pot and add onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to turn translucent, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, along with wine, mustard and broth, to the Instant Pot.
- Cook for 5 minutes on manual setting, then manually release steam.
- Carefully remove lid and set aside the chicken breast.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and add honey to remaining liquid to create a sauce. Stir frequently until gravy like consistency is reached.
- 10. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.