Last Updated on October 30, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Homemade Lice Spray might be just what you need to help with a lice situation. This DIY lice spray recipe is a much more natural lice prevention option and only takes moments to make.
THE NITTY GRITTY ABOUT LICE
Okay, that heading was a little bit of a pun, LOL. The word lice can strike fear in the hearts of parents (and teachers) everywhere.
Lice are horribly annoying little creatures and no one wants to have them living in their hair!
It doesn’t matter if you follow all the tips to keep your kid from getting head lice at school, they may still come home with it! If you have dealt with lice even one time then you know how important prevention can be.
The key is to prevent lice before the infestation can begin. One way people can deter lice is by using preventative lice spray. There have been some studies done on essential oils and lice prevention.
INGREDIENTS FOR LICE SPRAY
This recipe for lice spray uses some basic essential oils. You can use the brand you love best!
- Liquid Peppermint Castile Soap
- Grapeseed Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Squeeze Bottle Container
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LICE SPRAY
I love easy homemade DIY projects that only take me minutes. Plus this lasts a long time!
STEP ONE: ADD SOAP
Start off with a small bowl. Add the castile soap to the bowl.
STEP TWO: ADD OILS
Now add in the grapeseed oil and whisk these together.
It is time to add the lemon oil, tea tree oil, rosemary oil and thyme oil to the bowl. Whisk all these ingredients together.
NOTE: If you are using this solution on a child younger than 8 years old, cut the number of drops of oil in half.
STEP THREE: ADD TO BOTTLE
Now grab a funnel and pour your homemade lice spray solution into your spray bottle.
HOW TO USE THE HOMEMADE LICE SPRAY PREVENTATIVELY
Now that you have your lice spray made up it is time to figure out how to use it.
Always shake the bottle before using so the oils are mixed thoroughly.
There are 2 ways to use this homemade lice spray. The first way is to use it preventatively as a shampoo.
Replace your child’s regular shampoo with this homemade lice spray and have them use it each time they wash their hair.
It will become habit and those essential oils will help repel lice that could come in contact with your child’s hair.
HOW TO USE LICE SPRAY AS A TREATMENT OPTION
The second way is to use this is as a lice treatment. Many of the store-bought lice treatment options contain very harsh chemicals that many people don’t feel comfortable putting in their hair or in their children’s hair.
If you want a more natural lice prevention method try this.
- Just spray the mixture on your child’s hair and gently rub it in.
- Then place a shower cap on your child’s head for about an hour.
- Remove the shower cap and lather the mixture and shampoo the hair.
- Rinse the hair well with water.
- Comb out the hair with a nit comb to remove any nits.
TIP: The nit comb recommended by many school nurses is Terminator Metal Lice Comb by Fairy Tales for Kids. It is by far the best nit comb on the market! This works so much better than a fine-toothed comb.
HOMEMADE LICE SPRAY RECIPE
If you want to print this homemade lice spray recipe off just use the recipe card below. It includes the complete ingredients and directions.
Homemade Lice Spray
- 1/2 cup liquid peppermint castile soap
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 10-20 drops lemon essential oil
- 10-20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10-20 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 10-20 drops thyme essential oil
- 1 Squeeze bottle container
- Add castile soap to a small bowl. Add the grapeseed oil and whisk together.
- Add lemon, tea tree, rosemary, and thyme essential oils. Whisk together. (If using on a child under 8, cut the number of drops in half)
- Using a funnel, add the mixture to your squeeze bottle.
- To use: Shake before using. Add mixture to child’s hair and gently rub in. Put shower cap on child’s head and leave on for at least one hour. Lather mixture and shampoo. Rinse mixture out and comb child’s hair with a nit comb to remove any nits.
- You can also use this mixture as a preventative measure by using it regularly as a shampoo.
If you love making household items homemade with essential oils be sure to check these other ideas out:
- Essential Oil Headache Relief Roller
- Essential Oil Itch Relief Cream
- Homemade Beauty Products Using Rosemary Essential Oils
- DIY Healing Salve
Be sure to PIN this lice preventions pray so you can come back and make it, again and again, to use on your kid’s hair!