As part of my Instant Pot obsession, I’ve spent a lot of time playing with different recipes. These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches were a big win recently. The beef comes out so easy to shred and the au jus is packed with flavor!
French Dip is one of my favorite weeknight dinners since the kids love having dippable sandwiches for dinner and my husband and teen boys find them hearty and satisfying.
How to Make Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
One of my favorite things about the Instant Pot is the ease of preparing one-dish meals. In a family of six, our dinner dishes pile up fast so the fewer dirty dishes I create in preparing the meal, the better. This dish does require the use of your oven though (for a whopping total of 3 minutes) to toast the buns and melt the cheese.
Step 1 – Sear the Roast
Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and set to Sauté. While you wait for the pot to get hot, season the chuck roast. Then, sear on each side to seal in the juices.
Step 2 – Prepare the Sauce
Next, remove the roast and sauté the onions and garlic in the Instant Pot. Deglaze the pan with red wine or broth and then simmer to reduce the liquid. Add the broth and return the roast to the pot. Now we’re ready to pressurize!
Step 3 – Pressure Cook for 90 minutes
Turn off the sauté setting, secure the lid and select the meat/stew setting. Increase the time to 90 minutes and let the Instant Pot work its magic. After it’s done cooking, let it naturally release pressure for at least 15 minutes. This is a great time to prepare the rolls and sides. It should like this when you finally remove the lid:
Step 4 – Prepare the Rolls
To get the rolls ready, just brush them with olive oil and broil them for a couple of minutes to lightly toast them.
Step 5 – Shred the Beef
The roast should practically fall apart at your touch. Easiest shredding job ever.
Portion the beef onto each roll, strain the au jus and divide into cups for dipping.
Step 6 – Add the Cheese
Top each sandwich with provolone and broil for an additional minute to melt the cheese.
Now your sandwiches are ready to serve and eat!
Instant Pot French Dip Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
- 3 lb pot roast - we used a inner-blade cut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red wine - optional (can use broth to replace)
- 1-16 oz carton beef broth
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 teaspoon thyme, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon basil, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 French Rolls, for serving
- 10-12 slices provolone cheese, for serving
- Season your chuck roast with the thyme, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to your Instant Pot and select the Saute setting.
- Place the roast in the Instant Pot and sear on each side (about 3-4 minutes in between turns). This keeps the juices in the roast while it pressure cooks.
- Remove the pot roast to a plate as you prepare the broth.
- Place the onions and garlic in the Instant Pot and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to loosen any bits of onion or roast that may be stuck. Simmer and let reduce to about half the volume before adding the beef broth.
- Place the roast back into the instant pot and turn off the saute setting.
- Select the meat/stew setting and increase the time to 90 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot is done, allow to natural release as you prepare your side dishes and buns, at least 15 minutes.
- Brush some olive oil on the cut french rolls and place them in an oven set to broil for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Shred the roast and portion out onto the sandwiches.
- Strain the broth to make au jus for dipping.
- Add two slices of provolene cheese to each sandwich and return under the broiler for 1 minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve each sandwich with a small bowl of au jus for dipping.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Here are some of my family’s favorites.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice (from I Don’t Have Time For That!)