Did you know that January 19 is National Popcorn Day? In honor of this under-promoted holiday, I’ve put together a list of popcorn topping ideas to help you broaden your perception of this healthy and satisfying snack so that you can enjoy it every day of the year without the risk of growing bored with it.
Open up your spice cabinet and look past the salt shaker. There are plenty of other delightful ways to easily transform your popcorn into something new and interesting.
- Ranch dressing mix
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Lemon Pepper
- Mexican chocolate – cinnamon, cayenne and cocoa powder
- Cajun seasoning
Combine some of your other favorite snacks with a fresh batch of popcorn for a flavor fiesta. Ground them in a food processor or in a zipper sandwich bag with a rolling pin.
- Veggie straws, pea crisps or wasabi peas
- Potato chips, Cheetos, or Doritos
- Ramen noodle seasoning
- Graham crackers (add mini marshmallows and some cocoa powder or mini chocolate chips to make s’more flavored popcorn)
More from the Pantry
- Chocolate and/or caramel syrup
- Melted peanut butter
My favorite popcorn toppings are hiding inside the refrigerator. In addition to amazing flavor, some of them also add vital nutrition (e.g. calcium and protein).
- Grated parmesan, asiag0, pecorino or romano cheese
- Melted cream cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Melted butter (mix in some of the seasonings from the spice cabinet to make flavored butter)
As a Cereal or Nut Substitute
Try replacing the cereal or nuts in your favorite recipes with popcorn instead as a low-calorie, whole grain alternative.
- Rice Crispy Treats (use popcorn in place of the puffed rice cereal)
- Muddy Buddies (use popcorn in place of the Chex mix)
- Chex Mix (use popcorn in place of the Chex mix)
- Trail Mix (use popcorn in place of the nuts)
Do you have some other topping suggestions or perhaps a popcorn recipe? If so, I’d love for you to share it in the comments.