I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for P&G. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. All opinions and reviews are my own.
My mother has extremely sensitive skin. She can only use all-natural skin care products and makeup. She’s had skin reactions similar to chemical burns from the mildest hair coloring solutions. I didn’t want risk being the cause of a rash, or worse, scarring on my mother. So, when she came to live with me last year, I had to learn a lot about caring for sensitive skin.
I switched from the original Tide Pods and Bounce dryer sheets to the Free & Gentle versions. I wanted to stick with the brands I trusted since over the years I’d experimented with dozens of other detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets until I found the ones that were most effective. I didn’t want to return to the days of stained clothing and static cling! I was so happy that Tide, Downy, and Bounce offered versions that were free of dyes and perfumes and had been tested on sensitive skin and approved by dermatologists.
The Tide Free & Gentle Pods are super easy to use. You just pop one in the washer before you load your clothes (yes, even if your washer is a high efficiency front-loader). I actually toss mine in after I load it so I know I rememberd to add it, but that isn’t what you’re supposed to do. Shocker, I don’t follow directions. I do use the washer’s detergent drawer to add the Downy Free & Gentle Fabric Softener though so it can add it add the right time during the wash cycle. With 8 people in our house, we ALWAYS have a full load of laundry so I don’t measure the fabric softener, I just fill the fabric softener compartment to the “max” line. Most importantly, I NEVER forget to toss in a Bounce Free & Gentle Dryer Sheet ever since I went to church one day and discovered a sock stuck to the inside of my pant leg halfway through the service.
Tide Free & Gentle cleans better and removes more stains than other “free” detergents and it’s super mild on skin. And the Downy Free & Gentle softens our clothes (and smells amazing) without incorporating any ingredients that aggravate my mom’s sensitive skin. Added bonus for all of my fellow animal lovers, the Bounce Free & Gentle Dryer Sheets repel pet hair in addition to softening fabrics and reducing static cling. My mom hasn’t had any issues with skin irritation from her clothes since she’s moved in with us.
Aside from changing our laundry products, we also take some other precautions to protect my mom’s sensitive skin.
Sensitive Skin Care Do’s:
- Drink lots of water (lemon water is even better)
- Wear SPF 30 sunscreen whose active ingredients are ONLY zinc oxide OR titanium dioxide and that is paraben and fragrance free
- Use soap-free cleansers
- Moisturize skin immediately after bathing, while skin is still moist
- Test new products by applying a small amount behind one ear and leaving it on overnight
- Incorporate antioxidant spices into your diet (e.g. cinnamon, black pepper)
- Choose products with anti-inflammatory ingredients (e.g. white tea, oats)
Sensitive Skin Care Don’ts:
- Overwash skin
- Use hot water to clean skin
- Overheat your home
- Use waterproof cosmetics
- Use products with these ingredients
- Antibacterial or Deodorant ingredients
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids
- Assume that just because a product is natural that it is safe for your skin (always test new products first!)