This is an advertisement for SheSpeaks/St. Martins Press.
I love books that pull me in and don’t let go. That’s exactly what happened when I read Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris.
The first pages of this thriller convince you that you’re being pulled into a story of suburban housewife drama. There are initial hints of mystery, something going on behind the scenes that you know is going on, but can’t figure out. As the story unfolds, the author continues to keep you in suspense while at the same time revealing shocking details. I was blown away at the masterful story crafting in this novel. Paris is clearly a gifted writer.
I know a lot of books are touted as page-turners, but in this case, the term is 100% accurate. You’ll want to start the book early in the day. Make your coffee first, because you won’t want to pause once you start reading.
And go ahead and clear your schedule so you can pore through the book in one sitting. If, like me, you have a family that needs to be fed and work that has to be done, preventing you from spending the entire day reading, prepare yourself for a late night because you won’t want to go to sleep until you get to the emotional conclusion of the story. I won’t spoil the end for you, but I will tell you that as soon as I finished I immediately woke up my husband to talk about the book because it had such a profound effect on me.
I wish I could give you more details about the story, but since what I liked most about the book was the suspense and mystery of the story, I can’t talk about the plot without providing spoilers. Instead, I’m going to share the features of Behind Closed Doors that I liked the best to help you determine if this is the kind of book you’d like to read:
- Suspenseful – As you learn more about the characters and events, you can’t predict the outcome
- Intriguing Characters – Even the characters you don’t like are compelling and interesting, and there’s a broad array of personalities
- Psychologically Thrilling – Most of the action in the story is mental and emotional instead of physical (no car chases, bombs, or ax murderers)
- Emotionally Engaging – I found myself talking out loud to the protagonist, shouting warnings, advice, and encouragement.
Here’s what others are saying about the book:
- “2016’s Answer to Gone Girl.” – Women’s Health
- “If you like fast and frantic stories, you’ll love this” – The Sun
- “What amazing evil. Makes GONE GIRL seem like a fairy tale” – Jackie Willey, Fiction Addiction
- “An intense tale that makes us wish for revenge and payback. Wow!” – Stephanie Crowe, Page & Palette
- “A wonderfully horrifying book! Riveting, the most terrifying character ever!” – Susan Wasson, Bookworks
If you want to check it out before you buy, you can download the first five chapters free! Just click here.
Or, if you want to buy the book, click the image below.