Challenge To Write Day Six: Do you have a favorite vehicle? Tell us about it.
I don’t have a favorite vehicle, but I am looking at a lot of them recently trying to decide on a good option for my soon-to-be-driving teenage son. Although I don’t think parents should be obligated to provide their child with a car when they are old enough to drive, for our family it makes a lot of sense to have a reliable extra vehicle.
When looking at a vehicle that my son will be driving, I have to take several things into consideration.
- First and foremost, I want a car that is safe.
- Almost just as important, I want a car that is reliable since I don’t want him stranded on the side of the road.
- Finally, because he will be required to pay for the gas when he is using it, I’d like to protect his pocketbook and find something fuel-efficient.
With these criteria in mind, I set about to find my best options. To save you the trouble, should you be pondering the same decision, I’m going to share my findings. We can’t afford a new car, so I searched for my three criteria in used cars. These three were top-rated for safety, reliability, AND fuel-efficiency:
- Toyota Corolla (model years 2003-2008)
- Honda Civic (model years 2006-2011)
- Ford Focus (model years 2008-2011)