Home ยป Recipes ยป Baked Pork Chops and Apples with Brown Sugar Glaze

Baked Pork Chops and Apples with Brown Sugar Glaze

Disclosure: *This post may include affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

A favorite dish in our house, especially during cooler weather, are pork chops and applesauce. One of my kids recently decided that applesauce is too mushy so I came up with this variation that has been a big hit with everyone in the family. These baked pork chops and apples are a favorite meal in our home.

This recipe is for baked pork chops and apples with brown sugar glaze is my family's absolute favorite dinner and it's also super easy to make!

Super Simple Steps

Here’s a quick video to show you how simple this is to prepare. You’ll find detailed step-by-step instructions directly below the video. Click here to go directly to the recipe card.

In lieu of applesauce, I slice apples and lay them in the bottom of a casserole dish.

First, layer the apples in the bottom of the pan

I sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apples and then layer the pork shop on top of them.

After sprinkling the apples with cinnamon, lay pork chops on top of them

Next, I make the sauce and pour it over the pork and apples. In case you don’t make it all the way down to the comments, one reader mentioned that she replaced half of the sugar with honey and was pleased with the result.

Finally, pour glaze evenly over pork chops before baking

Then it goes in the oven for 35-40 minutes and dinner is served! We will usually have sweet potato fries and green beans. The sweet glaze keeps the kids from complaining about vegetables since they feel like they’re getting away with an early dessert. It’s surprising how a little sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar can transform a meal into kid-friendly.

baked pork chop and apples on a red plate with a fork on a brown table

Click the button below to find the full recipe.

88 thoughts on “Baked Pork Chops and Apples with Brown Sugar Glaze”

1. Making this tonight — as I’m looking at the recipe I’m thinking “this blogger sure looks familiar”…. and then I realize I met you at Focused! Looking forward to using your recipe.

2. Hi I really want to make this for my family tonight, but my wife is allergic to cinnamon. Is there an alternative or would it be okay to just leave it out.

• Hi Kris, if you don’t want to sacrifice flavor, you can substitute allspice or nutmeg. Omitting spices entirely though, won’t affect how the dish bakes so if you don’t want to try one of those, feel free to go without. I hope this helps!

• Hi Sarah, you can leave the fat on, but it will create more liquid in the pan and make your sauce greasy. It doesn’t ruin the dish, it just comes out a little different.

3. I’m making this tonight! So excited to see how it turns out, no doubt amazingly I’m sure ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love how quick and simple this is to make especially for weeknights when we have school and soccer and who knows what else. Nothing is more satisfying than a homemade dinner. Thank you so much!

• Hi Kelly! I hope you enjoyed it! It’s one of my favorites for the same reason – perfect for busy weeknights (plus, the kids actually like it so I don’t have to listen to any complaints). ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Lauren, my kids love stuffing (usually I buy Stove Top whole wheat stuffing) and because I always like something green on the plate, we usually have green beans too.

4. I have to say I did not care for this recipe. It was lacking flavor, I didn’t have a glaze, it was more of watery sauce. Everything was bland.

• I’m sorry to hear this Jocelyn. I’ve made it many times and never had that problem and it’s one of my family’s favorite meals. Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your opinion. I wish I could pinpoint what might have gone wrong, but perhaps it’s simply a difference in taste.

5. Has anyone froze this casserole and then baked later? I am trying to make some meals ahead for those busy nights when I just want to pull something from the freezer and this sounds really yummy. Thanks!

• I haven’t tried preparing this as a freezer meal before. I’m going to play around with the recipe and post a freezer version if I can make it work. Thanks for the idea Tracey!

6. I’m making these for the first time as we speak. I really didn’t want to dirty a saucepan so I opted for a paper bowl to melt butter, add cinnamon and nutmeg then heat again to dissolve sugar. The sugar came out clumpy so I sucked it up and got the saucepan out to do butter/sugar/spice combo only to have it do the same exact thing. The butter is melted but the sugar is sitting in clump type piles on top of the porkchops. Did anybody else encounter this problem? Did I not heat the butter/sugar/spice combo long enough on the stove? Also, I’m cooking this in the oven uncovered since it doesn’t specify whether to cover the dish whjle cooking or not.

• I’m sorry you had trouble with the glaze. I haven’t tried it in the microwave but I’ve never had trouble on the stove. My guess is that it needed to cook longer to melt the brown sugar. Don’t worry though, it should break down in the oven. Yes, the dish bakes uncovered. I’ll add that to the recipe now to avoid confusion for others in the future. Thanks for pointing out the omission!

7. Made them last night May 19 2016. My wife of over40 years said this is a keeper. Two chops & two apples and the rest of the spices I cut back about 1/2. large chops just melted in our mouth. I will be making it again soon. Paul

• Hi Paul, I’m so glad you and your wife liked them (and thanks for sharing your variation so others can tweak to their preferences too). Do you happen to be a retired Marine? If so, ooh-rah and thanks for your service. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. I can’t wait to try this recipe…we love pork chops with applesauce, so I’m sure that this will become a family favorite. How many servings does this make?

• This is by far the most popular recipe on my blog so I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and many others do! This recipe makes 4 servings. For my family of 6, I actually double the recipe so my husband and I can have the leftovers for lunch the next day. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. AAH! I’m halfway through making the recipe, for the bajillionth time(even my kids devour it–they call it “Apple Pie for dinner”) and suddenly the recipe isn’t on your blog! What happened??

• Rebekah, there seems to be a glitch in the program I use for my recipes. Working on it now. Thanks for commenting and letting me know!

• Thanks for pointing that out Sheila! Looks like I somehow deleted a line from the recipe during one of my edits. I’ve corrected the recipe, but to answer your question – sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper after you’ve placed it on top of the apple slices (and before you top with the glaze).

10. I tripled the recipe (big eaters) , and I used pork chops on the bone , my question is do you cover them while baking? I know they will need to cook longer but not sure if need to be covered. Recipe didn’t say. Thanks!

• Hi Jen! I use granny smith apples because the tartness adds dimension and keeps the dish from being overly sweet. I have also used Gala, Fuji, and Pink Lady apples though and they all work well. Yes, you should just halve all of the ingredients if you are cooking for two. I actually double the recipe since there are 6 people in my family and two of them are teenage boys. I have to cook mine a little longer though when I double it so you might want to knock 5 minutes off the cooking time to prevent over-cooking the pork.

• Thanks for coming back and letting me know how the recipe worked for you. The tip to replace some of the sugar with honey is really smart! I’m going to add a note within the post to recommend it per your suggestion.

11. Pingback: 30 Nights of Dinners
    • Hi there I can tell find the glaze recipe anywhere and the steps to make it would you mind sending it I’d like to make it tonight for the family thank you so much ?

• Hi Kristen, if you click the “Next” button above (at the bottom of the post), it will take you to the next page where the full recipe is. Let me know if you have trouble with it.

12. Hi Corinne – I’m with Cynthia… LOVE the combo of apples and pork chops. This is a great cold weather option when it’s not warm enough outside to make on the grill. Hugs, Holly

13. This recipe looks great! I love the combination of the apples and pork chops. I love eating pork chops, but never really know what to do with them. Now I do!