I’m a big fan of one-dish meals and this Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is one of my favorites! Not only is it an easy family dinner recipe, it’s also pretty darn healthy too.
Two of my family’s favorite side dishes are green bean casserole and cheesy broccoli and rice. I decided to marry the two and substitute quinoa for the rice to increase the protein, fiber, and iron in the dish. The result was amazing!
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
Step 1 – Cook Quinoa, Broccoli and Chicken
First, you’ll need to cook the quinoa. For added flavor, I usually replace the water with chicken stock.
To reduce the number of dirty dishes, rather than steaming the broccoli separately, I just add it to the quinoa for the last few minutes of cook time.
If you aren’t using leftover chicken, then boil or bake your chicken breasts. Shred the chicken and set aside.
Step 2 – Combine Remaining Ingredients
Next, add the cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, milk, and garlic powder.
Then add the chicken.
And stir well to combine the ingredients. It should look like this:
Step 3 – Bake
Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
Now you just need to top it with French fried onions before putting it in the oven.
Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup French fried onions
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh sieve until the water runs clear.
- Place quinoa and chicken stock in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the water is absorbed (15-20 minutes). Turn off heat. Add broccoli, replace cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, boil chicken breasts then shred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, cheese, milk and garlic powder to the quinoa and mix well. Then add chicken and stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top with French fried onions. Bake 5 more minutes.
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy some of these other easy dinner recipes.